Terrifying scenarios probably pop into your head when you think about traveling with your kids. While it can be daunting, having kids should not stop you from traveling. Just think about all the adventures you could have with your little ones!
With careful planning and consideration, your trips could sure turn out to be memorable. So buckle up as we go through the things you should consider when traveling with kids.
1. Planning a Trip with Kids
It can be overwhelming when planning a trip with kids. A lot of things should be kept in mind: budget, schedules, itinerary, everybody’s preferences — and so much more that you probably do not know where to start anymore!
Take a breath, relax and go through the following tips to help you get a good grasp of this whole traveling-with-kids business. These sites will help you find the proper mindset in taking the right steps.
- Planning a Family Vacation | Pint Size Pilot
- 7 Fun Tips to Involve Kids in Vacation Planning | Kids are a Trip
- 25 of the Best Tips for Travel with Kids | y Travel Blog
- 10 Tips for Traveling with Kids | Two Scots Abroad
- Four Tips for Planning a Travel Itinerary with Kids | Thrifty Travel Mama
2. Travel Safety Tips for Kids
Safety should never be compromised when making fun memories with your family. First, you must think about factors concerning your child’s health, such as vaccines, medications, and first aid kit. Second, you should also think of ways to make sure your child does not get lost. Third, it will be helpful to teach your kids what to do in risky situations. To know more about making your trip safer, check out the following:
- 10 Travel Safety Tips for kids | Carpe Travel
- 9 Tips for Keeping Your Kids Safe on Vacation | Travel + Leisure
- 15 Tips for Keeping Kids Safe when Traveling | y Travel Blog
3. Flying with Kids
Before you had a kid, it is not impossible to go through your trips even with a little amount of prep time. All of that changes when you have to travel with a kid, and so a lot of parents opt to stay at home instead of taking a risk.
Do not be discouraged though, because flying with kids can be nightmare-free! The following are some well-thought tips on how to survive flights with kids. These will give you an overview of what you should remember from airport security, checking-in, boarding and unboarding, choosing flight schedules and seats, bringing snacks, and keeping your kids occupied during the flight.
- 17 Tips for Flying with Kids to Keep You (and Them) Calm and Happy | y Travel Blog
- 20 Tips for Flying with Kids | Kaley Ann
- Our Top 30 Tips for Flying with Kids – Before, During, After the Flight with Children | An Epic Education
- 17 Things You Definitely Shouldn’t Do on an Airplane | Travel Freak
4. Going for a Road Trip with Kids
Adults need breaks in between long car trips to stretch their legs. How much more for children who cannot stay still for a couple of hours without asking, “Are we there yet?” When going for long trips, it is important to prepare activities that will help keep your kids occupied. In the following posts, you will find tips on preparing food, activities and keeping your kids safe on road trips.
- Traveling with Kids Hacks | Your Modern Family
- The Best Ideas, Activities, +Hacks for Road Trips with Kids | It’s Always Autumn
- 20 Awesome Road Trip Activities for Kids | Kids are Trip
- 50 Road Trip Ideas for Kids | Six Sisters Stuff
- Family Road Trips for a Fun and Stress-Free Journey | Travel Mamas
- 12 Hacks for Mastering the Road Trip | Family Vacation Critic
5. Tips for Camping with Kids
Whether you are old to camping or a newbie, camping with kids is a whole new different story. Right from planning, packing, to traveling to the camp, to doing activities on the site, and keeping everyone safe — all of it needs to be thought of. There will be bumps along the way, but nothing beats the memories of a great family camping experience!
- Genius Hacks to Make Camping with Kids Fun & Stress-Free | The Pragmatic Parent
- 101 Ideas for Camping with Kids | The Dating Divas
- The Ultimate Guide to Camping with Kids | Hike it Baby
- This List of Family Camping Tips will Make Your Life Much Easier | Lifehack
- 25 Camping Hacks for kids | Kids Activities
6. Packing for a Trip with Kids
Packing for trips can be stressful enough on its own — even more so when you’re going on trips with kids. Perhaps you’re one of the parents who is torn between the risks of packing light or the burdens of bringing an extra of everything. The following tips can help you strike the balance between the two: packing smart while bringing the familiar comfort of home wherever you go.
- The Ultimate Packing for Kids Guide | Together We Roam
- Packing Lists | Travel Mamas
- Teaching Kids the Art of Packing | Family Adventure Project
- Packing Tips for Families | Kids are a Trip
- Packing for a trip with kids! (with a video hack you’ll love) | Your Modern Family
7. Food Tips for Traveling with Kids
Grabbing food on the road sure is convenient but not without risk. On one hand, they may be cheap but unhealthy. On the other hand, they may be healthy but expensive. Plus, it’s not always possible to stop for food when you’re traveling, and you’re not sure whether they’re good or not. The best thing to do is to bring healthy, travel-friendly foods with you for the kids to enjoy. Read on to find out more about this.
- Healthy Food Ideas for Travelling with Kids | The Blonde Nomads
- 8 Tips for Healthy Eating when Traveling with Kids | Travel Mamas
- 25 Easy to Pack Travel Snacks | Kids are Trip
- Healthy Food for Kids while Travelling: Top Tips for Feeding Travelling Kids | Adventure Travel Family
- Eating on the Road: Food for Road Trips | Kid World Citizen
- 25 Road Trip Snacks for Kids + Recipes | Babble
8. Breastfeeding while Traveling
Traveling is most convenient when you are breastfeeding instead of bottle feeding. You would not have to carry feeding equipment, worry about sterilizing, and warming the water enough for your baby. Still, breastfeeding while traveling is not without challenge. You will have to adjust to different environments and know about how a different culture perceives public breastfeeding. Do not worry, though, because the following may just help your breastfeeding experience become better as you travel with your little one.
- Breastfeeding Tips for Travel: Nursing & Pumping on the Go | Traveling Mom
- Tips for Breastfeeding while Traveling | Breastfeeding Needs
- Tips for Breastfeeding Mums who Travel (with Kids and Without) | y Travel Blog
- Your Ultimate Guide to Pumping while Traveling (Land & Air) | Mom Loves Best
9. Games when Traveling with Kids
Traveling with kids is like doing your best to prevent your kid’s next meltdown for a prolonged period of time. If you’re unprepared, it will wear you out. But if you have planned activities like games, long trips become really fun and exciting. What’s even more cool about playing games while traveling is that it doesn’t have to be expensive. The following are some game ideas for when you go traveling with your kids:
- Free printable travel games for kids | Trip Savvy
- 11 Fun Travel Games for Kids – Best games to play in a road trip or flights | Sharing Our Experiences
- 10 Best Car Games for Kids | Mini Time
- Airplane Activities for Kids to Keep Kids Busy During a Flight | Verywell Family
- Car Travel Games for Kids | Mom’s Minivan
10. Game Apps for Traveling with Kids
One way to get your kids excited for a long trip is to loosen some of the usual house rules when traveling, such as rules on limited screen time. Taking advantage of technology mixed with traditional activities is definitely something you can do. Aside from its affordability, it does not take up much space in your pack. The following are some of the games you can download in your electronic device to keep your kids occupied while traveling:
- 30 Best Apps for Traveling with Kids | Geeks with Juniors
- Best 15 FREE Game Apps for Kids that Don’t Need WiFi or Internet | TechWellness
- 10 Free Mobile Road Trip Games to Help Pass Long Car Trips | MakeUseOf
- 9 Fun Game Apps to Play on Your Road Trip | Babble
11. Booking Tips when Traveling with Kids
The last situation you would want to find yourself in is frantically looking for a place to stay with your kids in tow while they’re in the middle of a meltdown. It is always best to reserve accommodation ahead of time. While you’re at it, you also have to weigh your choices not just based on price, but also on perks and amenities.
For example, hotel rooms may be cheap, but you might find it hard to stay in a single room with your kids. You also have to look for amenities that would suit the needs of the whole family like a pool or free breakfasts. Perhaps you might consider booking an apartment, cruise, or resort. In the following links, you’d some kid-friendly places for a fun-filled vacation.
- 25 Favorite Beaches for a Family Vacation in the United States | Kids are a Trip
- 23 Best All-Inclusive Family Resorts in the US and Caribbean | Mommy Poppins
- Best Hotel Pools in the United States for Families | Trekaroo
- The Ultimate List of the Best USA States to Visit with Kids | Where’s Sharon
- Best American National Parks to Visit with Kids | Full Suitcase
12. Sleep Tips for Traveling with Kids
Getting a good sleep may come as a challenge for both adults and kids when traveling, and a lack of rest may just make the kids easier to get cranky. What’s more, it also takes time to adjust back to their regular sleeping schedule after a long trip away from home. Many parents are wondering how to help their kid sleep well while traveling, so here are some tips for you:
- 8 Traveling Sleep Tips for Children | The Cradle Coach
- Where Should My Baby or Toddler Sleep on Our Travels? | Trips with Tykes
- 12 Ideas for Helping Kids Sleep During Travel | Nothing if Not Intentional
- How to Help Kids Sleep After Traveling | The Military Wife and Mom
13. Money-saving Tips for Traveling with Kids
A lot of parents are held back by the thought of spending too much when traveling with kids. Thing is, traveling does not have to be expensive. For one, you can plan ahead and travel off-season, when prices go down for accommodations and food. You can also take advantage of free attractions like festivals and museums. Going with the locals will also save you a lot of money, and let your family experience a different culture more deeply.
Still, allow yourself to splurge from time to time to make some great memories! The following are some more tips on how you can save money while having a great time with your family.
- Ten Ways to Save Money While Traveling | Travel Babbo
- Tip Sheet: Money Savers | MiniTime
- Ways to Save on Family Travel | Family Vacation Critic
- 10 Money-Saving Tips for Frugal Family Travel | Six Figures Under
14. Photography Tips for Family Travel
Kids grow up so fast, don’t they? You would not want to look back on those precious years and think, “Man, I wish we’d snapped a photo.” What’s awesome these days though is that taking photos is easy and inexpensive. Basically, all you need is a good smartphone. They’re compact, light, and easy to use. Another great idea is to let your kids take their own photos and have a glimpse of the world through their eyes. Read on to find more photography tips that will surely make your memories for keeps.
- 10 Simple Tips to Improve Your Family Travel Photos | Simple Family Travel
- 12 Photography Tips for Family Travel | Wanderlust Crew
- Travel Photography Tips for Kids | Intrepid Travel
- The One-handed Photographer – 8 Tips on How to Take Good Photos when Traveling with Kids | The Blonde Nomads
- 17 Photography Tips to Save Your Family Vacation | Improve Photography
15. Apps for Traveling
Everything can fit into your smartphone these days. While that sounds neat and convenient, there’s just way too many mobile apps you can choose from. If you’re uninformed, you may end up with a cluttered phone and a bunch of apps you wouldn’t be able to use anyway. To help you sort through the sea of apps, here are some recommended apps that you can use for travel.
- The Best 10 Travel Apps of 2018 | Nomadic Matt
- 15 of the Best Apps for Traveling | Go-today
- The 10 Best (and Most Useful) Travel Apps 2018 | God Save the Points
- 11 Best Apps for Travelling 2017 | Dan Flying Solo
- 15 Travel Apps to Log Your Globe-Trotting Trips | Hongkiat
16. Traveling Accessories
For obvious reasons, you cannot bring your home with you when traveling. It is, therefore, a must to invest in traveling accessories that will help make your life easier as you go on adventures with your kids. Check out the following cool stuff that you might want to consider bringing with you on your next trip:
- Best Travel Gear for Kids – 30 Items to Keep them Happy and Safe! | y Travel Blog
- The Ultimate Packing for Kids Guide | Together We Roam
- Family Travel Must Haves: Baby Travel Essentials Actually Worth Buying | Learning Escapes
- The Essential Travel Gear Your Family Needs on Vacation | Kids are a Trip
- 20 Stylish Travel Accessories I Refuse to Hit the Road Without | Momtastic
- 20 Cool Father’s Day Gift Ideas for Dads who Travel | Journo
17. Reviews of Travel Accessories
If you have seen the links above, you would agree that there’s now a lot of cool stuff for traveling. While they may be eye-catching and affordable, too many people have already been left disappointed when the actual products do not meet their standards. On the other hand, you are probably overwhelmed by the variety of products you can choose from.
It is important to be a wise shopper to save on bucks and make your travels safer and more convenient. To help you out, here are some product reviews for essential travel accessories when traveling with your kids:
- 15 Best Car Seat Protectors | ParentsLists
- 15 Best Baby Co-Sleepers | ParentsLists
- 2018 Best Wearable GPS Trackers for Kids Buyers Guide | SafeWise
- Guide to the Best Travel Car Seats 2018 (FAA Approved Car Seats List) | Wander lust Storytellers
- Best Travel Strollers | Lucie’s List
- Reviews of the Best Luggage 2018 | Where’s Sharon?
- Best Breast Pump for Travel in 2018 | Babyers
- Guide to the Best Bottle Warmer 2018 | Where’s Sharon?
- The Best Travel Cameras of 2018 (And How to Choose) | Expert Vagabond
- The Best Tent for Family and Car Camping | Wirecutter
18. Other Tips for Traveling with Kids
You will never run out of things you could possibly do when you are out traveling with your kids. Before you get overwhelmed by these, be sure to take a deep breath. What’s most important is that you enjoy every moment! Take your time — in fact, allot loads of extra time — especially if you’re traveling with kids. Even better, do a practice run of usual travel routines like airport security and check-ins.
Traveling with kids is also a great opportunity to help them become more independent. Allow them to make decisions to an extent and help them appreciate moments apart from each other. It is also a great idea to allow your kids to use a camera or keep a travel journal for them to look back to when they get older.
Do not be afraid to immerse yourself and your kids to an unfamiliar culture or environment! Open your mind to more moments where all of you can learn something together. Just remember, having fun does not mean you should let your guard down. Expect the unexpected and always prepare for the worst.
These travel tips have hopefully eased some of your worries about traveling with kids. It is challenging, but it’s not impossible. Traveling with your kids certainly makes awesome memories!